Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY Functional Fabric Box

Hi again and happy Tuesday! I hope everyone had a wonderful start to the week yesterday and enjoyed their Monday.  :)

Today's post is all about "Functional Fabric Boxes". Have you ever thrown away, or recycled I should say, a food box (or any box for that matter) because you didn't know what else to do with it?
Well, I have to admit that my family and I have done this many times before and I kind of feel a little bit guilty about that now ever since I realized what you can make with them.

So how do you make a fabric box?



Well, to start, I must say that this project began after reading another blog called iHeartOrganizing. After seeing Jen's fabric boxes, I knew that I could do something similar and make ones that were functional to be used anywhere in our home. Plus, they make for great storage in any space.

Without further ado, I would like to show some pictures of this project from start to finish and explain how a fabric box can be made.


Step 1:
Gather your supplies: Fabric, Scissors, Loctite Adhesive Spray (found at JoAnn's), and a Box

Step 2
Empty out the box you are going to cover with fabric after you have cut off the top of the box


Step 3
Sit the box upright before covering

Step 4
Make sure you measure out how much fabric you need and then once you know where your fabric is going to be placed, spray with Loctite Adhesive
(Make sure to read the directions on the label for the adhesive because for different kinds of projects, you may have to wait a minute or two before applying your fabric)


Step 5
Fold the edges of your fabric over the top


Step 6
Pull one side of the fabric to cross-over to the other side of the box


Step 7
Spray the fabric and hold in place to dry


Step 8
Repeat steps 6-7 for second fold


Step 9
And this is what the sides of my box looked like after folding the left-over fabric


Step 10
Check to make sure that their are no bubbles in the fabric by running your hand over the fabric

Next, I wanted to make my own labels so I searched our home for some scrapbook supplies and such.
Steps 11-13 are optional  :)

Step 11
Materials needed for labels: Computer Paper, Scissors, Pencil, Scrapbook Paper, Sharpie Markers

Step 12
This was going to be the front of my box which would have the label on it
Check to make sure you know where your label will go so it is centered on the front of the box


Step 13
After using crafty scissors to give a border around the label, use Loctite to attach the label to the box


It's hard to see the zig-zag sides around the label, but they are there, I promise  :)


Step 14
Fill the box with your supplies


Step 15
And place it in the cabinet for easy access to your materials
 Okay, that may have been an overdose of "Steps" but I wanted to be a little thorough just
because.  :)

And because I couldn't help myself, I made just one more fabric box for more storage which I labeled "Vitamins".
You could make a fabric box with any kind of fabric of your choice. I chose to use left-over dropcloth from when I made my curtains, which you can read about here.
 Just be creative and have FUN!  :)
Happy first day of May!
Linking up to
 five days five ways  feature friday free for all
and

and
The DIY Dreamer
Thanks for stopping by!

4 comments :

  1. Great idea! Im going to make some using empty diaper boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! :)
    I'm glad you will be able to make a fabric box, too.

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I have a bunch of boxes I was going to recycle. I can use them for this. Pinned this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you for reading my post, Erica! I will be making more, too. It's amazing some of the things we get rid of that we can reuse. :)

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.