Monday, October 16, 2017

Books I've Read and A Couple On My List to Read

I never categorized myself as a "reader" or someone who was knowledgeable about a variety of information. Mainly, because I dislike reading books. But what I've found out about myself (and wish I knew this sooner) is that I actually enjoy reading books that are based on true life events/stories and memoirs. 

It all began about 5 months ago when I first picked up this book from our local library. A blogger I've been following for a few years now strongly recommended it to her readers and the way she wrote about this particular book really captured my attention. It was hard to put Ruth Wariner's book down at night once I began reading it. Usually, when I read something, I can't wait to be done with it, but this book was different. And the way Ruth told her story was powerful. She is definitely a strong woman who has overcome a lot. 

After reading her book, I decided to check out a few others on this blogger's list. Here are some that I've read since then. (I also have 2 others I haven't currently read yet and hope to by the end of this year, but I'll get to those at the end of this post).

#2. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
The Invention of Wings

This novel tells the story of 2 women in the early nineteenth century. One is an urban slave, Hetty, who desires to know what life is like outside of the Grimke household where she works tirelessly. Sarah Grimke wants to do more with her life than what is expected of her as she develops a close friendship with Hetty, her handmaid. The story is loosely based upon the historical figure of Sarah Grimke and that is probably why it was a little hard for me to really get into this book, but I did like it. I believe it received great reviews overall and one I would recommend if you enjoy fiction and history.


#3. Missoula by John Krakauer
Image result

This novel is based on true events that took place in a college town called Missoula at the University of Montana. The University of Florida is my Alma mater and, like most big universities, is known for it's college parties among other things. So this particular novel captured my attention because the events happened at such a well-known and big university (and sadly take place anywhere). The main stories in this book are about multiple accounts of sexual assault that took place and were reported to the Missoula police department. Whether or not you attended a large university, I recommend this book as it not only talks about a serious crime and gives alarming statistics about sexual assault, but it also prepares me as a mom for how to talk to my kids about such things in the future. 
#4. The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
Image result 
Chip and Joanna Gaines are pretty well-known "celebrities" at this point who are known for their great design ideas, hard work, and beautiful family. What this book shares is the hard work that got them to where they are now and they boldly declare that they couldn't have done it without God (who never left their side through it all). I enjoyed reading this one- it was light, funny, and uplifting and I loved how Joanna talks about meeting Kara Tippetts and how that changed her perspective on things. I especially enjoyed reading about the Gaines' faith and trust in God and seeing how He has fulfilled their dreams even more so than what they could have ever imagined.  

#5. Little Bee by Chris Cleave

Image result


This novel was a bit interesting to me- I definitely liked it overall, but there were some parts that were hard to believe- mainly about some of the details that were written between the two characters. Again, this was probably due to the fact that this novel is fiction. Nevertheless, this is a good dual-narrative novel about a Nigerian asylum-seeker and a British magazine editor who meet in an unlikely place. I'd recommend this one if you enjoy an uncomplicated plot with a twist at the end.

**The following two books are on my list to read next, but I'll share what I've heard about them. They were graciously gifted to me by my husband for my birthday. :)

#6. Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis (now Katie Majors)

Image result 
I've been following Katie's story since the beginning of this year and am a little familiar with her outreach in Uganda through Amazima Ministries. Her story is pretty amazing as she unapologetically shares her passion to follow Jesus. I'm looking forward to reading more about her personal story and the story of the lives that have been drastically changed by her outreach through Christ's love.
P.S.- I recently watched her on an interview with the Today Show and she radiated such joy! She was genuine and not ashamed to talk about her relationship with Christ. 

#7. The Hardest Peace by Kara Tippetts 
Image result 
Oh this story, how I'm a little nervous to read it through it's entirety, but I also can't wait too. This story is about the lovely Kara Tippetts who passed into the arm's of Jesus not too long ago after a long and hard struggle of stage 4 breast cancer. She left behind her beautiful 4 young children and her husband- who have chosen joy through all this hard. I began following Kara's blog before she wrote and published this book a few years ago and even though I did not know her personally, her story just really spoke to me and had me on my knees praying for her and her family. Her blog is still up and running strong with the help of her close and dear friends.
I know this will be a tough, tough read, but I also know Kara lived life knowing God was and is who He says He is and she always said that in "the midst of hard, He met her." I don't know how one lives life not knowing what will happen afterwards, but I'm thankful she knew Him and is no longer suffering. 


If you've read any of these on this list, I'd love to hear about it!



No comments :

Post a Comment

I always love to hear from my readers! Thanks for taking the time to post an encouraging & uplifting comment.